Thursday 4 June 2015

Courtship and Marriage

My story begins when my mother Victoria Pokorna and her younger sister, Eleanor set out from their home city, Kosice in Czechoslovakia bound for Canada. They went to  the port of Antwerp to sail on the ship MELITA  and arrived  in Quebec    in October of 1926.  It took ten days to cross the Atlantic Ocean. They arrived safely at their uncle's farm near Dundas, Ontario. His name was Nicoli Kobylanski which was my grandmother's maiden name, so I presume it was their mother's brother.

A party was planned on Halloween to welcome the two lovely young ladies to Canada. This is where my father John Thili and his friend John Trebych met these two young ladies. The short story is they courted and were married only two months later! My mother Victoria, and my father, John were married on New Year's Day at St. Stanislaus Church in Hamilton, Ontario. A few relatives from Toronto, Detroit, and Buffalo gathered for a reception. Coincidentally, my aunt Eleanor married John Trebych two months later in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment